Sunday 16 September 2012

#InMyStudio - Meet Beautiful Misty



I have called this painting Misty...
Aptly because it's completely Misty Mawn inspired.  Aspects of this painting are mine from my developing creative mind but certainly not all of it.  I love this painting so much.  She reminds me daily of my journey this year in discovering Unfurling {Misty's book}, discovering other artists who pointed me to OpenStudioWorkshop {Misty's online course} and of course pointed me towards Italy {a week long course painting with none other than MistyMawn}.
For me doing this piece was mostly about playing with new techniques that I am learning from Unfurling and OpenStudioWorkshop and also to see if I can do this technique and style before I get to Italy.  I have never done skin tones like this before.  I usually use Naples Yellow and Yellow Orche in my skin tones.  But here she recommends using White, Crimson, Payne's Grey and maybe some Ocher   I was shocked at how different the skin tones are... and to be honest - I love it.  I love the more white skin tones as opposed to my usual yellow undertones.  I applied her acrylic paint technique of mixing my skin colors on my palette to my oils.  I found it hard because it is difficult to figure out how much paint I would use because oils usually go further than acrylics.  I also used gesso for the dress and roses. I lay a heavy and dark shadow undertones first and then built it up with whites after... also new for me.
I am so excited about this piece and some of my other pieces this year... is that I didn't know what I was going to do with her hair or headpiece but I keep seeing a little white cap - almost like the type the Amish ladies wear.  I did some research and found that was exactly what I was envisaging.  The lace detail around her cap was inspired by some left over lace I got from my Gran when she died.  And I love the little stings interlinking by her neck.  All of that came from what I kept seeing every time I looked at her.  This is very exciting for me.  I am finally being able to paint without a reference and that creative ideas and visions for a painting are happening and working out on my canvas'.

No comments:

Post a Comment