Sunday 4 November 2012

A little Italian Fresco in my Entrance Hall

I was so moved by the Italian Fresco in our Monestary in Orvieto... I knew I wanted to paint it or part of it.
About 18 months ago I started a painting on the largest canvas I have ever worked on (1.5m tall and 1m wide).  When I got back to Cape Town, almost a year ago - I immediately painted over it because I had moved on from that piece... my idea was to paint something on it this year.  Well this year is almost over and it's been lying here for that long.  As Italy was a bit unexpected - I would never have come up with the idea of painting a fresco on this big canvas... But how perfect.  What a beautiful way for me to have a memory of my time there. 



This gives you a good idea of the size... Love painting this big.
I didn't mean to start it today. I woke up early before everyone else, something I haven't been able to do since before my trip.  And before I knew it I found myself standing in front of my canvas with my pencil and eraser in hand and I was drawing my fresco.  While the image was still fresh in mind, I grabbed my oils and got started.  Ahhh what a beautiful way to spend my morning.



Where I am leaving it today... Sadly these pics don't do it justice...
I am so excited by this piece!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment