Thursday 29 November 2012

#InMyStudio...


All I can say is that I was reluctant to start this homework... I think I was afraid.  How do you put yourself on a canvas.  Not only that but I think as artists we are our own worse critics.  But I am so pleased I jumped in.  I drew her up the other night and then yesterday after work I started my first layers of paint...
All I can say is that I really learnt a lot with this piece.  Today putting my second layer of paints down and working in the highlights really helped make this piece move from looking kind of one dimensional to a piece with depth.  I actually loved the size of this canvas {10"x 10"} and I really enjoyed where I ended...
As to whether she actually looks like me - I am just not sure! 

4 comments:

  1. It doesn't matter if it does or does not look like you. It is you. Bravo for doing "the homework".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon. I am so glad I did my homework. I really loved it. I will always remember that this was me. I have an interested buyer so I haven't told her it's a self portrait... but I have called her Charlotte. Like as in Charlotte's "Webb". Both my daughters are called that at their respective schools... It's a joke in our household that we are all Charlotte Webbs!! I kind of love that! <3<3<3

      Delete
  2. She is amazing - like you. I often think a selfie is not about capturing what you look like on the outside but more about how you feel on the inside. She is simply remarkable. Like you. :-)

    (mel, signed in on Russ' account!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay that freaked me out. I was like since when does Russell blog???? Hahahaha. Thanks my friend... I hope I have captured character in her. It's my hope to capture feeling and character in all my paintings... that tells a bit of story that we can all relate to.
      Thanks for always supporting me and encouraging me. <3<3<3

      Delete