Monday 26 November 2012

Putting down deeper roots...

So this week will be one year exactly since we packed up our house and moved 1400km's to another city.  When we arrived back here, we rented a small little 1920's house close to the girl's school.  Truth be told, I love old houses and fell in love with quirky offbeat place.  But living in an old house does come with issues and this house is no exception.  This "old gal" had seriously been neglected and unloved... and in some ways that made me love her even more.  We didn't think we would be staying long so have been keeping things light and I guess in a little bit of limbo.
But it's been a year already and it was time to decide if we will be renewing our lease or moving on.  The thought of packing up house and moving so soon - almost made us sick!  We just aren't ready for that.  So we have renewed our lease and decided for now, we will stay on for another year.  We can't really continue to live in limbo so we are doing somethings around the house to make it feel more like home.  We have been working on the garden for the past year and it's come along nicely.  I redid the kitchen floor and I am happy with how that turned out.
The girls had been feeling unsettled with the prospect of "are we moving or are we staying" - so we decided to start with the girls room... a new lick of paint, new beds, new bedding and some major rearranging and we have happy hearts and beautiful rooms.  My next project was putting pictures up... yesterday we put a total of 15 pictures up and it looks pretty amazing.  I had been working on a set of pictures for my dining room which were made up of some of the beautiful art I received in Italy from my new friends, together with some of my own pieces from before, during and after Italy.  It has completely transformed this area.
Our next big job will be to paint out the kitchen and bathroom... but that is another job for another weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment