Sunday 12 August 2012

OpenStudioWorkshop - 1st Portrait Painting Assignment

My 1st Portait Painting Assignment.  I would love to say I found this easy but I never find working in Acrylic paints easy.  It dries so fast which means I have to work fast.  And I am generally a slow painter.  I bought a single black and white full bodied paint to do this assignment to give myself the best chance.  I worked quickly so I could keep up with the instructional video and with the paints.  I wasn't completely blown away by my portrait {I didn't have a reference} but I just left it for a day or two.  Kitty and I both saw a little Native American girl everytime we walked past her.  So I decided to make this piece so.  After spending the afternoon researching Native American art, jewelery and headgear, I had more of an idea of what I wanted to do.  I selected a typical NA rug for my background and the rest, as I would say... evolved.  I have once again grown with the piece and I have fallen totally inlove with her.  Now I have to name her... {help}.  The feathers, headgear and necklace are done with oil paints, as I don't have color acrylics yet.  The great thing about oils is that you can work over acrylics, no problem. I wanted to see how I worked with the black and white paints before I rushed out and bought a whole new stash of paints.  I am passionate about my oil paints and I have enough to last me a lifetime.  I feel encouraged, not only about working with acrylics successfully for the first time but I think I might be more excited about my vision for this piece and that I was able to execute it!  #stoked

2 comments: