Tuesday 11 February 2014

#InMyStudio.... Homework Homework Homework

I'm slowly working through my homework, not all of it but some.  I'm not putting myself under pressure about getting it all done all in the prescribed week - because life is too busy but I have the whole year to work through things and mature and grow through and each task... I am also waiting for some reference books to arrive... so I'm pacing myself.  Right now... I'm having the best time just trying new things and enjoying the creative play so much.  Showing up and taking active steps is always my goal.  Especially when I'm overwhelmed by new tasks... at the moment showing up is the hardest part.

 So I would say my Portfolio is finished for now (like my lantern... still things I can do but moving on for now).  But so thrilled with my inside and my sleeve covers.  I seriously hadn't planned it - it kind of just happened and it sure does beat blank white covers.
It's now officially holding art pieces.  It's wonderful having a place to store them.

I still have my one sleeve to finish.  I will be keeping it old fashioned like this for now...
  I finally started my new/old journals this weekend... I started by slowly gessoing the pages. And when that was dry, I started sticking very small amounts of ephemera down, limiting myself to one piece per page.  I found it so difficult in the beginning because I didn't really have a plan or vision for it.  I felt nervous.  I decided upfront that I wasn't going to get to attached to any page by perfecting it into a perfect painting but I just tried to keep it loose, fun and free.  Just starting was the key... before I knew it I was jumping from one page to next and I started really enjoying the "play" aspect of it.  It's really wonderful...
I can't wait to get back to more pages... dying to see what comes out next.

 Sometimes I feel I have to give myself permission to play, I seem to forget that and take myself all too seriously... (don't get me wrong - painting is such a joy for me that sometimes it feels like play) but releasing myself from the notion that every piece has to be sold or be a masterpiece is rather liberating.
And it not only allows my artist child to be messy and naughty but also adventurous.
To start with a tiny idea/image and letting it grow into a story, really does challenge the mind to get creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment