Tuesday 7 January 2014

#InMyStudio - Morning Pages and Finding Water


Every year for the past 5 years I've started off my year working through a Julia Cameron 12week workshop books and this year is no different - I have started this year off with Finding Water.

So far the prologue has been incredible!  Hard to believe I've been writing for 5 years and that I can still be surprised.  I've read Julia's notes about Morning Pages plenty times before but this time, it blew me away!  I think I just had complete understanding of the power of Morning Pages, more than ever before.

The most incredible thing happened before I started this week - I read my very first journal with one of my first exercises from The Artists Way.  It was a list of dreams and guess what was on the top of my list... "One day I would like to do a painting holiday in France".... I was like "WHAAAAT"...  Okay... so I didn't end up going to France... but I did end up going to Italy to paint last year!  The funny thing is I don't recall writing that and it was the first time I had read that since I wrote it 5 years ago... it literally took my breath away!!

As I read through more of my dream lists and exercises that I had worked through the years - most of the things I had written there have come to pass.  As I flicked through that last 5 years of private writings, I realized one most profound thing... I have changed.  I always believed it was my time in Jhb that had changed me but I now realize it was my journey through my Morning Pages and these workshops that had changed me, adjusted me and led me.  And I do believe, continue to do so!  The other thing I realized was how many answers I got through the years, to my many struggles and questions... I know it sounds magical!  But I guess it's something you will have to experience to truly understand!  It's taken me 5 years and many journals to fully grasp the concept.

If I ever doubted the power of Morning Pages or this beautiful gentle quiet time, first thing in the morning - I am no longer in doubt.  Here's to the next 5 years of writing, dreaming and to forever changing and adjusting who I am and what I'm doing, to line me up to be who I was always called to be!

1 comment: