Saturday 12 April 2014

#InMyStudio - a little Sculpture Play

I started this piece about a year ago when I played in Heather Basson's studio with Annie Hamman, when we were doing the FacetoFaceWorkshop.  It was such a treat to create together.  But when I got home I let her dry and then never got a chance to get back to her...

In the past few weeks since we have been doing bits of paperclay sculpture in class,
she's been calling me to finish her.... and I've had an idea how to go about it.
So last night after I finished painting... I started building up her torso and lower body.
I filled her with newspaper, sacking cloth and wrapped that with red masking tape.

This morning I started adding the clay!

Leaving her here today to dry...
I'm already loving her!  Her shape and form.
I would love to tell you I planned this piece but because I'm such a novice with clay -
I assure you this pieces feels like one happy accident after the next.
At this stage - I'm not sure I will be able to do this again!

I am planning on doing wings down her back.
I have something in mind - I am hoping I will be able to put it together!
I am loving working with paper clay - I love that it air dries!
And I love the process - it takes me to another world and I could spend hours there!

No comments:

Post a Comment