Monday 7 January 2013

Back to reality...

I am not one of those mom's that wish school holidays were over so that my kids can get back to school and out of my hair.  I think I may have felt that just once in the last 14 years but I must have had a good reason.  I love the school holidays with them... I love the break in routine and structure and I love the freedom that comes with the holidays.  But above all that, I love the quality time and memories we have in our holidays.
 
But I woke up this morning and I had the distinct feeling of reality... Digz was back to work today, I am at the office today and although the girls are still on leave, I am painfully aware that we only have 10 days left.  And I don't like that feeling!
 
We are starting a new school year and we will start this week with covering the new books and sorting out the stationery and uniforms etc.  That holiday feeling is slowly drifting out the front door!  I have to fight getting sad about it.
 
We didn't have the most spectacular "leave" or "away" holiday like we have had in the past.  In fact, we haven't had a holiday like that for about 2 years... and are sorely in need of one.  But I have to say we made the most of these holidays being based in one of the most beautiful places in the world... they ended up being quite amazing.  We did so much with the girls this year... hitting the beach literally every second day, running and weight training together, surfing together - it's clear that with age and maturity comes many more open doors and creative ways we can spend doing things together as a family.
 
We are an active family and this has to be one of the most active holidays we have ever had... and nothing makes my heart happier!  That and seeing my girls finding their joy in a sport that is bringing about a real passion and determination.  I always promised myself that I will never let myself go and that I will try as much as possible keep up with my girls... physically.  Which not only forces me to keep active and young but it's also helping me stay present and connected to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment