Monday 29 April 2013

Growing up...


When I see my girls like this... I have to catch my breath...

They are getting so big and are so beautiful.
Corks is taller than me now (don't tell her I'm admitting that out loud) 
and next year my baby girl becomes a teenager.
The older they are getting the closer they are becoming and I love that.

After a bit of an emotional chat on Instagram with a buddy - it reminded me that in 3.5 years time my big girl too goes off to University...  We are already starting to take steps in that direction.  Last week she did her aptitude tests to help narrow down her subject choices.  She was at the University the other day for a Maths tournament and got the vibe of the Campus... and instantly fell in love with it...
I guess when you can taste and smell your future that's pretty exciting!

Don't get me wrong, I am so proud of who they are and who they are becoming... in every way.
I am as excited as they are at the life and possibilities ahead of them.
But right now, all I want to do is throw on the brakes.
 I live everyday knowing that in so many ways they are surpassing me... in their youth.  their beauty. their knowledge to the new world we are living in... and no matter how hard I vow to stay connected and relevant and for the most part I am.

There will come a time when the divide will be too big to bridge.
And sometimes - it freaks me out.

I love my life with them and I love and value each precious moment we have together and I take none of it for granted.  Even in the mundane of waiting for cross country to finish for the pick up and the chat all the way home... to painting sets for the school concert.
Or just being around for studying and exams etc.
There is a lot to be said for just being HERE in the now and in the current moment!
And long may it last!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


7 comments:

  1. How beautiful written!

    And yes it is hard and so lovely at the same time to see the kids grow up. Feel the same way about my two boys, now turning 14 and 10 this summer. The oldest one is half a centimeter shorter than me and have shoes three sizes bigger then me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. crazy isn't it...

      It all just goes so fast hey!
      Mine are 14 turning 15 and 12 turning 13
      Sometimes I look at myself in the mirror and wonder if it can be possible that I have such big babies.
      Do you ever do that? And that I've known my hubby for 20 years.

      Delete
    2. Times go so fast. Perhaps I dont look in the mirror but often do I find myself asking that question it can happen anyware at any time. Like now when we are plaing our summerholliday that is comig up soon. Roadtrip it is, and that is no longer a big issue, its easy. Or just when my little one started talking about the USAs ellection and about Obama or other big things that happens in the world that fasinates him. Not long ago it all were about Telletubies.

      And my hubby! We are now going on our 20th year too. He has been by my side for half my life. Half my life - thats insane! And so so wonderful. He know me inside and out. And I´m longing for 20, 30, 40 years more with that man.

      Delete
    3. I agree - those things do get easier. I love that your hubby and you are so awesome after 20 years and that you plan to have many more with him.

      I love that.

      We are the same... we have practically grown up together... It's the same this side - I have been with him longer than I was with my own family. It's precious. We have weathered much together! :-) I guess that's what having a best mate is all about!

      Happy for you!

      Delete
  2. jenny had me thinking these very same thoughts... so bittersweet, isn't it? mine is only 6 years old and a long way to go, but that day will be here soon enough... the thought of letting go is hard, but let go we must.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny got us going hey. You are right. we are already called to that every day in small ways and one day we will look around and we would have let go (not completely) but we would have!

      Your baby girl is so adorable. And yes it goes in a flash - once they start school - it just starts to fly by. Someone warned me that once highschool starts it goes even faster - and I can see that.

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh, its never easy being a parent and this growing up thing always is positive but terribly nostalgic at the same time

    ReplyDelete