Monday 24 June 2013

A bit of a scare...

On Friday morning I discovered a rather large lump in my breast.  I tried not to freak out because I know woman can get lumps and bumps and it doesn't mean it's cancer.  But with so many people that I know falling prey to the disease, I didn't want to take any chances either.  I scheduled a mammogram for today... I thought if it's just a swollen gland, it could well be gone by today... that and the fact that now that I'm 40 it is mandatory that I have a yearly check up anyway.  So all in all - the lump, sinister or not got me to do my check up!

So by today my lump hadn't disappeared but more had appeared and it was pretty painful.

But I'm thrilled to say my Mammo came back clear of any tumors benign or malignant but what my breast is, is full of cysts.  Not one or two but over 10.  I'm a little shocked that so many appeared out of nowhere and with it being a little crowded in there, it would explain the pain and discomfort!

So this is what I found out about cysts...

A breast cyst is a fluid-filled sac within the breast. One breast can have one or more breast cysts. They're often described as round or oval lumps with distinct edges. In texture, a breast cyst usually feels like a soft grape or a water-filled balloon, but sometimes a breast cyst feels firm.[1] Breast cysts can be painful and may be worrisome but are generally benign.


So all in all a good prognosis... but who knew??? She also told me that it could also be due to hormonal fluctuations, which would make perfect sense because of my new metabolic balancing program - it does re-balance the hormone levels. So I'm trusting they will disappear as promptly as they appeared.

The reality that comes with turning 40 means keeping on top of our yearly check ups... in the next few months, both my hubby and I will be doing the rest of our yearlies!!!  Besides us all having cold's and flu's now at the start of winter, and with all the diet changes and considering we are in our 40's... have never felt healthier!  And long may that last!!

13 comments:

  1. Oh my god how you scared me! What an awful experience - even though it all turned out well. Good that you got it checked out.

    Am waiting to get called for my check up. They start at the year of 40 here. And I can´t make an appointment by my self - if i don´t have a private doctor (which isn´t usual here)

    So so glad you are ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks my friend. gee your country is sorted hey. We have to take care of all our own stuff. But my medical aid is great - they cover a free exam every year to promote us over 40's to go!

      They also recommend we do it at 40!

      Hope you go soon!

      Delete
    2. I guess we are pretty sorted. But we also pay heavy taxes for this. That is so it can be affordable for everyone. It only cost me between 16-20 dollars for a apointment to doctor, and all is included if needed (like test, xray or what evere) If I pay more then 250 dollars with in a year, I get to go free the rest of the year. So no need for our own medical insurances- unless we want to get to private doctors that are quicker somteimes.

      Delete
  2. That's very scary but I am so relieved for you that everything worked out fine.
    I love the 40's in general, but the sucky stuff that comes with it are the various checkups "they" suggest annually, and like you, I figure it is probably wiser to just do them.

    Enjoy the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I know my hubby is also going for all those tests, prostrates etc etc. But it's true, being 40 has been great and we have been healthy! Good to keep it that way!

      Delete
  3. glad it was nothing serious - and thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pleasure - I think we tend to put these things off but it's a good reminder not to let them slip. I know I won't be.

      Delete
  4. Glad you went immediately to check it out. And happy for your results. I use to have those at about that same age. I know your pain. I had to have some asperated. Not fun. But I took myself off of caffeine (coca-cola) and stopped having them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my friend, I believe removing caffeine will help... I don't have much, but I will def give it a bash. Glad yours went away! That's so encouraging!

      Delete
  5. Whew! SO scary. Glad it turned out to be okay. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. you know my story....it will be interesting to see if the cyst i had in Jan 2012 is still there when i go for my mam next month. mine also used to flare up and be really eina but havent felt it for over 6 months and its not palpable either. Heres to GREAT HEALTH! XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - great health in our 40's. It might still be there, maybe just lying flat... apparently can be there for years before we even notice them and stay long after we don't notice them! Hope your mammo goes well too! <3

      Delete