Sunday 9 December 2012

#InMyStudio - finishing pieces...

This weekend was all about finsihing off pieces... this is always such a challenge for me.  It has always been my challenge and something I have had to work through since I started painting... it's like I lose momentum right near the end.  When I was working through Julia Cameron's book The Arist's Way - she has a section about it.  I knew she was talking about me.  Sometimes it's just easier to never commit to the finishing and to say it's a "#wip" that way closing the door to any critism and judgement.  Isn't that crazy that that is at such a subconscience level.

So I know it's the area in any piece I have to push through.  That being said, this year has been my best year for finishing pieces - but it's something I have to work hard at.

So I am happy to say that I finished off 2 more pieces this weekend.

I am absolutely in love with this piece.
To me she's one of my favourite paintings this year.
And I completely love her size - she's 21"x28" {55x70cm}
I started her before Italy to practice the skintone technique that Misty teaches...
I have called her Misty - because she's completely ~Misty Mawn~ inspired!!!

8 comments:

  1. Yea YOU! you finished both and they are just wonderful. Not finishing has only recently become a problem for me. So I relate but what you said about..."...closing the door to any critism and judgement" gave me a light bulb moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sharon. Isnt' that so interesting that we trip ourselves up completely in our sub-consciencous. When I understood why I was doing it - it certainly helped me to push through. PS: you have nothing to fear - you are an incredible artist and your work is outstandingly beautiful!!!!

      Delete
  2. SO beautiful. I'm the same way - I struggle with finishing things as well. And also starting them...I think it's perfectionism shining through as you said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth - I think you are right - it's routed in our own perfectionism. Sometimes I struggle to start too - sometimes my fear comes in the form of procrastination. Sometimes I just force myself to start with a simple draw up. Before Italy I was so overwhelmed by my decision to go {unworthy to paint with such awesome artists} that I was paralysed with fear and I couldn't paint for weeks. It was through playing that I found my way back to my canvas'.

      Delete
  3. i can so relate to this! i never finish anything. thank you and your paintings are so yummy!!! xox carlanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhh thank you Carlanda. Isn't it interesting that many of us struggle with the same thing. I hope you find you way to the end of each piece now that you know the root! Much love Carlanda... keep going! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Both those pieces are exceptional.- Misty takes my breath away, I would be terribly sad to part with her if I were you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's still up on my wall and I am beyond stoked with the print!!! It's gorgeous!!!

      Thanks my friend!

      Delete