Thursday 11 July 2013

#InMyStudio - Reclaiming Hope


I did this chalkpastel drawing about a year ago when I was in the #OpenStudioWorkshop - just before I headed out to Italy!  I called her Hope perhaps because she filled me with so much hope for my trip... I remember being so emotional when I finished her!

As much as I love chalk - they are hard to keep because they are always shedding even if you use fixative.  I was about to move Hope onto the bin or something!  I needed to do the background and I've been wanting to fix her mouth forever!

So for years there was something I always wanted to try - I wanted to put water over a chalk to see what happens... I had heard it becomes like using watercolors.  But I guess this piece wasn't the best painting to do that with because I had used fixative but also huge amounts of chalk!  So  it wasn't easy to work - I had serious painter's cramp afterwards...
I started adding water and also added acrylic paints too!!!

She's now moved from a drawing to a painting and she feels amazing!
And at last, I fixed her mouth and neck and the background!

I feel like again I've saved this painting and reclaimed her from the bin!

No comments:

Post a Comment