Sunday 12 April 2015

#InMyStudio... evolutionofworkingoutthatHand


So I drew up this piece in the AppleOrchards inspired by Oswaldo Guyasamin,
whose images are just permanently open on my browser for inspiration.

His paintings aren't by any stretch easy on the eyes, but the are deep with emotion.
And mostly all hands.  Powerful emotional hands.  And even though they are a bit grotesques and more masculine than my kind of art, one would think.  But for some or other reason, the emotion from his pieces (even though the style isn't my style) has blown me right out of the water.  And has completely moved me emotionally.  And I have to say, I'm a bit taken a back by this.


And his exaggerated hands have given me such a greater understanding on how to paint them.  And how to use them in pieces that they capture emotion as stand alone entities.  This version above, the fingers are too big for my liking although I love the composition, a lot.  I was too scared to share it like this, might scare people off.  I decided not to give up but knew if I could trim them back some - it would make much more sense to my style and piece.  And I have to say I'm thrilled with the outcome.    I literally spent hours working that hand and the details in each digit.  I feel like I have had a bit more breakthrough.  And I adore the elongate fingers and hand.  It's something I have always been drawn too.  I know I'm not into realistic hands but more an offbeat, a little quirky and completely artistic hands.

"I will hold you in the palm of my hand" 
So thrilled with this little journey and evolution of hands...
May I continue to expand in this area... I'm entering my 2nd year of working on hands... I know it's an area, I'm just starting to discover more.  I can't wait to to reach week 5 in ArtEntwined.
Eeckkk.  Craving more hours in my day.

1 comment:

  1. I am loving your hands SO much!!! they are full of emotions, beautiful my friend!

    ReplyDelete