Saturday 21 July 2012

#Evolutionofapainting

People often ask me, do I see a girl in my head before I paint her.  And the answer is honestly NO.  Each new girl I paint is completely new and evolves on my canvas... I wish I could say it was more grand than that - but it really isn't.  I might have an idea to try a new technique or design but generally I am as surprised by each new piece as anyone else.  But the best way I can describe it, is that it's completely an #Evolutionofapainting.  A friend of mine on Instagram started that #tag and me, together with other artists have been using that hashtag since.  Funny enough, it was a phrase I have used since I started painting and I have always picture documented each stage as my painting has evolved.  I am not sure why I have always done that but it was on Instagram that I first started sharing my #WIP (work in progress) steps, something that has been well received on Instagram and Facebook and because of that, I have dedicated a whole page of that on my website.

I have often heard other artists say they visualised something and then painted it but I don't think I have ever had that experience. Except perhaps with this little painting...



I don't think she's spectacular but she's deeply personal to me, this is the only place I have shared her because I'm feeling a bit vulnerable about her...

I found this sunflower paper when we were in Worcester a few weeks back.  It's not a piece I think I would have naturally been drawn to - it was quite busy and wouldn't necessarily work with my other papers.  But I was completely drawn to this piece of paper and I could literally visualise a little fairy in amongst and behind the petals... This is a first for me.  I still didn't visualise her face, but I knew exactly how I wanted to use this piece of paper.  It was tough going and she wasn't a breeze to do because she's incredibly tiny on the canvas.  I have been working on her for 2 weeks!  But I am loving her sensitivity... maybe a little how I was feeling through this piece.  I hadn't planned on doing closed eyes but she was too tiny to do open eyes but I think it's adding to her sensitivity.  I am wondering if I, like my paintings am evolving as an artist... I hope so.  If nothing else, it was great to push myself to try and do something little different.

No comments:

Post a Comment