Tuesday 17 July 2012

Morning pages feedback...

So from the 1st June I have been waking up early to do my 3 longhand morning pages and I am busy working through Walking in this World, by Julia Cameron and I am on week 5.  It's excellent.  I am writing 5 days out of the 7 and I am walking once or twice a week.  My artists dates are still a challenge for me, not because I find it difficult but more about finding the time to be alone, especially during the school holidays.

Like I mentioned before, so much happens for me within these pages and like with the Artists Way - it's really changing me on the inside.  But the most incredible thing has happened... my Kitty girl has started getting up early to write with me for the past week.  She sets her own alarm clock and comes through.  I was so sleepy this morning and could easily have choosen sleep over writing.  She switched my light on, grabbed my journal and helped prop me up and there we both sat in my bed with our journals... writing.

To start my day off writing and reflecting before life happens, has so many benefits but one of the greatest benefits I've found is how clear thinking I am for the rest of the day.  My days are productive and constructive.  I have to say, this seems to be having the same affect on Kitty.  She has been incredible - so organised, clear thinking, on time, happy and in control.  It has really got me thinking today and I have been wondering, could it really all be from her early morning journal writing... maybe that coupled with the closeness of these moments together, getting to express her feelings and emotions in a safe place and even getting to express herself creatively.

How wonderful would it be if she learnt and understood this powerful skill so young.  It's like she's just given herself a gift.  In some way I feel a little jealous (in a good way) that she has this already.  The incredibly powerful gift of journalling.  Too amazing for words!!!

4 comments:

  1. What a gift you have given her! I understand your "jealousy"! Journalling is so powerful and yet so underestimated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may be the ritalin I have felt I have needed the last year for her. Could it be that simple. But I agree it is so powerful and yet so underestimated. I think its underestimated because it takes effort... it's hard to get up early but the benefits far outweight the difficulty. Not that I always get it right but when I do - I know this to be the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so incredible! I didn't know that doing the 3 TAW-inspired longhand pages could have that effect. And even more incredible that your daughter is joining you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, I can honestly say it has transformed me in so many ways. I loved TAW but loving this 2nd book even more. I highly recommend. It may be of huge value to you!

    My daughter has Sensory Integration Dysfunction, I am so blown away at how this seems to be helping her manage.

    So stoked!

    ReplyDelete