Thursday 26 July 2012

Look what I found today...

I have worked in Cape Town City Centre on and off for 13 years. To me there is nothing better than going into the City Bowl. It completely excites me. The old buildings and churches, the mountain as it's backdrop on one side and the harbour on the other. It is really one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Sometimes if I arrive early, I drive the streets and just take it all in. Bearing in mind, it isn't very big so I use the term "city" loosely. The other day my friend mentioned something quietly about taking the train into work.  I could have quite easily missed this vital little gem that fluttered out of her thoughts... On one of my drives to school, as I drove past my local station that thought fluttered back across my mind.  Today I formulated my plan, together with the help of this friend! I am so excited about it. I will do the school drop, park and jump on the train outside the girls school {yes, it's that simple}. When I arrive in town, I will do a glorious 15-20 minute walk to the office. And obviously the same home. I have 3 objectives with this in mind. #1. I miss the morning traffic. #2. I am doing my weekly walks. #3. I get to picture document all that I discover in my little town, things that we miss in our car but will see while walking. And I am sure there are other things I can keep adding to this list.  Wish me luck!!!  

I left town early today and decided to stop by an old church. I have been wanting to photograph old stone churches in my area all year and today I started...  I have walked and driven past this church many times for over 16 years and I hate that I have never ventured in.  It feels like I have been so blind to all the wonders around me.  I love that when we take but a moment, to stop... breath and venture in... we find a whole world out there that is just patiently waiting for us to DISCOVER it. 

What I discovered wasn't a church, but in fact, an actual Cathedral!!!

 

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow! This is absolutely breathtaking. Yes, Cape Town with all his old buildings and houses, are so stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Blackhuff. I was shocked that this incredible place has been right there and I haven't gone in. It was completely breathtaking. My pics didn't do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love exploring old churches and cathedrals, where God and art and faith and pain and beauty meet. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Beth. I agree with you - I feel so moved in these places. I haven't been in a Cathedral since I lived in the UK. I have missed it very much! I have a new stone church to scout out this week.

    ReplyDelete