Saturday 2 March 2013

#InMyStudio - EvolutionofaPainting!

I don't usually like it when people ask me to do commissions because they can be quite prescriptive and most times I feel it steals my joy.  It's far easier when I do a piece and they fall in love with it because it touches something inside of them.  As opposed to me trying to do it from this side.  I know we should all push ourselves and grow... and I guess this is all part of it.  
Last year I did quite a few commissions and each one was tough going.  It was very stressful for me esp. when I am asked to replicate another piece I've done before.  Mainly because each piece is unique and special on it's own and in truth replication isn't easy.

When I was asked to do this commission for one special young lady - I said "yes" but I proceeded to stress out for weeks and the fear kept me from facing it.  I kept it loose (more for myself) so that if I completely failed - the request would just go away.  But as soon as I started she just flowed right out my brush and she was just so stunning to do!

I had the best time with this piece.  That really surprised me... 

Laying down the Gesso and drawing up!
where the neck and face join is all wrong...
I have some work to do!

Ahhh man - loving those eyes so much... feeling pretty afraid to move forward
in case I completely stuff it up... Just like the eyes, the hair can make it or break it.
But so far... completely in love with this piece.

Okay... is it me or does that look like I placed a big fluffy wig on top of her head...
Pretty much freaking out over here!!!

I think I held my breath for 3 hours this morning until I started claiming back ground!
Corks asked if she could watch me but I had to say NO!
Because I felt so out of control (inside) that I needed space to compose myself!
She knows me so well... she came to check on me every 10 mins and told me
from a distance what she felt it needed!  She was a great help!
When I am sitting up close sometimes I can't see the big picture!
I realized I needed an ear on the one side and her hair needed
depth to match the rest of the color scheme.

Wow - I am so thrilled with her.
She's so beautiful IRL and I love how soft and natural she looks
And mature.  I am seriously so excited to send this piece out!
She leaves next week sometime to venture across the seas
to her new home... to live with one truly remarkable young lady!
Feeling so touched to have done this piece for her!

1 comment:

  1. Just gotta say, the comeback with her hair is excellent! Love how you simplified it and maybe because I always tell myself, "put your darkest darks near/next to your lightest lights to make it POP"

    ReplyDelete