Tuesday 5 March 2013

We did it!!!!

Mel and I have been running on and off together for over a year.  There was a time when we could hardly run 5kms. This year, hasn't seen many hours training together because I haven't been as available but we both continued training on our own.  We had casually spoken about doing the beautiful Two Oceans Half Marathon (it's the mother of all half marathons in Cape Town). I have done my fair share of them but I haven't done one for about 6-7 years.  I wasn't going to make the Two Oceans this year and that's when the Milkwood Half Marathon made an entrance and we kind of just went with it.  It came around a month earlier than the Two Oceans, so I knew I was pushing it a bit, fitness wise.

I would love to say I breezed through it but I didn't.  But then I never find 21km's (13miles) easy and without it's pain.  We started strong and I would say the first 17km's were really good.  My legs felt a bit heavy and I felt sluggish but our splits were saying something completely different.  We were doing much better than either of us expected.  The last 4kms were tough going.  And when we came running in, my legs were literally screaming at me.  I couldn't find relief until I was sitting in my car in a slight cradled position.  My recovery has been excellent considering how I felt on Sunday.

I think this picture says a 1000 words... trying to find relief to my sore legs, lower back and hips.  I honestly can't tell you how grateful I am that my girls were there to meet me at the end, I needed the support.  I was so grateful Mel was with me the whole way.  It's much easier running with a buddy when it's so tough on your body.  You kind of prop each other up!  Mel was fantastic.  It was her first half marathon and I was extremely proud of her!!!  So although physically this run came a month earlier than my fitness would have probably liked it... it was honestly one of the most beautiful runs I have ever done.  I know next year I will be more ready but now we have a time to beat!!!  Can't wait.

I am not a fan of doing races anymore... but I am kind of looking forward to the next one... ummm like... on Saturday!?!  But it's a more manageable 15km.

Cape Town's version of Medals = a tree
My girls supporting me at the end.
I love that I can still impress them!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Wow amazing! The longest race I've ever run is a 10k...I have so much respect for marathoners and half-marathoners. Go you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet friend! It was tough going! Feeling stoked about it though!

      Delete
    2. Ps: Are you running at the moment???

      Delete
  2. We are such a great team....when I think back now to Sunday running together the whole way was so good for us both ...when one of us was struggling the other always seemed to be stronger and pushed...had I been alone at any of my weaker moments the desire to quit would have been very overwhelming!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100% - I am sure j would have walked much more!!!! Wish u were coming on Sat!!!! We should book another run soonish!!!!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to both of you! Awesome achievement and so great to be able to do it together.

    ReplyDelete